What Happens if You Lose Your Job with a Closed Work Permit in Canada?

Although Canada is renowned for its liberal and welcoming attitude towards immigrants, navigating the country’s immigration system can occasionally be challenging. If you recently lost your job and are a foreign citizen working in Canada with a closed work visa, you might be wondering what your choices are and what to do next. This blog post will discuss what happens if you leave your employment in Canada while holding a closed work permit.

What is a Closed Work Permit?

An employer-specific work permit, commonly referred to as a closed work permit, limits its holder to working for that employer in Canada. The permission expires if the person loses their employment, at which point they must leave the country or look for another job and file for a new work permit.

What Happens if You Lose Your Job with a Closed Work Permit?

If you lose your job with a closed work permit, you will have 90 days from the date of termination to either find a new job and apply for a new work permit or leave the country. If you are unable to find a new job within the 90-day period, you must leave Canada.

If you do find a new job, you will need to apply for a new work permit. Depending on the circumstances, you may be eligible for an open work permit, which would allow you to work for any employer in Canada. It’s important to note that applying for a new work permit can be a lengthy and complicated process, and seeking the assistance of an immigration professional can be beneficial.


What if You are Laid Off Due to COVID-19?

The Canadian government has implemented various measures to support individuals who have been impacted by COVID-19, including those who have lost their jobs. If you were laid off due to COVID-19 and have a closed work permit, you may be eligible for an extension of your work permit or an open work permit under the COVID-19 special measures.

Understanding your options and next steps will help make the process of losing your employment easier if you have a closed work permit in Canada. To prevent any immigration repercussions, you must take action within the 90-day window whether you decide to locate new employment or leave the country. To navigate the immigration system and discover the best course of action for your circumstances, you may want to seek the advice of an immigration specialist.


Need Expert Guidance?

Drop us a message!

Start Here!